Key Policy Terms and Conditions

Covered Owner is a fully comprehensive motor policy. The policy is designed for learner drivers who are learning to drive in a car they own when accompanied by a supervisor over 30 who meets the criteria below.

Do you qualify?
Like all insurance policies there are certain people and vehicles we are unable insure. These are as follows:

We are unable to insure the following learner drivers:
  • Who are under 17 years of age on the start date of this policy.
    (Drivers under 17 may apply if they have completed and been accepted under the Personal Independence Payment (PIP) scheme and DVSA have issued a Provisional Driving Licence to them and provided details to us.)
  • Who is not the owner of the car they learning to drive in.
  • Who doesn’t hold a current UK Provisional Driving Licence.
  • Who has any fault motor accident claims against them, excluding windscreen claims.
  • Whose main income is derived from professional sports or the music industry.
  • Who has any motor or non-motor convictions, or any motor or non-motor convictions pending, including fixed penalty notices. You may disregard any spent convictions.
  • Who hasn’t been a UK resident for 2 years or longer.
  • Who has ever had insurance cancelled, declined, refused or special terms imposed.
  • Who resides in a postcode not accepted in the application process.
We are unable to insure the following vehicles under this policy:
  • Vehicles over 7 years old at the time of application
  • Any vehicle classed as a Van, Cab Pick Up, Lorry, Tipper, Minibus, Horsebox, Motor Caravan, Motor Home, Recovery Vehicle, Licenced Taxi or Minicab or any other type of commercial vehicle.
  • That is not owned by, leased or contracted to insured learner.
  • In insurance group 24 or above.
  • Valued over £10,000.
  • Is left hand drive.
  • Has been modified and not built to UK or the manufacturer’s specifications.
  • Has more than 7 seats.
  • Is registered in a postcode not accepted in the application process.
The person supervising the insured learner must:
  • Be 30 years of age or older.
  • Hold a current full UK/EU/EEA driving licence.
  • Have held a current full UK EU/EEA driving licence for 3 years or longer.
  • Have been a UK resident for 2 years or longer.
  • Additionally a DVSA ADI or PDI Driving instructor or DVSA Examiner may also supervise the learner.

I confirm I have read and understand the Key Exclusions above.

To proceed with this application you will need. Your driving licence number.

Data Protection Notice
To ensure you receive the correct cover and combat fraud, we check the information you provide to us is correct. We check your driving licence details via the governments My Licence database. I authorise you to use the data in accordance with this Data Protection Notice and carry out searches and pass the data that I have provided to you to suppliers, insurers and third parties for the purposes set out.

Note For your own benefit and protection, you should read the Insurance Product Information Document and Policy Wording documents available on this page before purchasing a policy.

Insurance Product Information Document

Information Document for the Covered Owner Insurance policy.


Policy Wording

Policy wording for the Covered Owner Insurance policy.

For policies starting prior to 1/1/2023

For policies starting on or after 1/1/2023


Need help?

Call us 0345 519 4969, lines open 9am to 6pm, Monday to Friday.