Learner driver's questions

What vehicle can I drive?
The car you are learning to drive in must be owned by you, the policy holder, and registered in your name, valued at less than £10,000, in insurance group 23 or lower, garaged or kept at an acceptable postcode and under 8 years old at the time of taking the policy out. Our application process will check the insurance group and postcode to ensure the car qualifies for cover.

Do I have to own the car?
Yes. You have to be the registered owner/keeper of the vehicle. If you don’t own the car you are learning to drive in this policy is not suitable for you. You can take out a standard Covered Learner Driver policy out at www.coveredlearnerdriver.com.

Can I use my Covered Owner Learner Driver policy to tax my car?
Yes as the registered keeper.

How many people can drive the vehicle I insure?
Your Covered Owner Learner Driver policy covers the named policy holder only.

What is the excess on a Covered Owner Learner Driver policy?
There is a damage excess of £500, and a fire and theft excess of £500. No windscreen cover is provided.

Who can supervise me in the insured vehicle ?
The person supervising you whilst learning to drive must hold a current full UK/EU/EEA Driving Licence, be over 30 years of age and held a full UK/EU/EEA Driving Licence for a minimum of 3 years and has been a resident in the United Kingdom for a minimum of 2 years or a current qualified Driving and Vehicle Standards Agency (DVSA) Examiner or current DVSA registered qualified Approved or Potential Driving Instructor (ADI/PDI).

Can I change cars?
It is possible to change your vehicle mid-term. A non-refundable £15 administration fee will be charged for any amendments.

What happens to my cover when I pass my driving test?
All cover under the policy will cease as soon as you pass your DVSA Practical Driving Test, other than the limited cover shown below, and you must return your certificate of insurance to the administrator for cancellation as soon as practicably possible. Any return of premium due to you will be calculated at a proportional daily rate depending on how long the policy has been in force, less a £20 administration fee. If you have made a claim the full premium is due.

If you pass your official DVSA Practical Driving Test cover is provided for the accompanying driver to return the car to your home or its normal garaging address.

Are there any drivers that Covered Owner Learner Driver is unable to insure?
Unfortunately there are certain categories of individual and vehicle for whom we are unable to provide cover. This comprises of those drivers whose main income is derived from taking part in professional sports or entertaining the public, those drivers with any motor fault accident claims against them, excluding windscreen cover, those drivers with any motor convictions or motor convictions pending and haven't been a resident in the UK for more than 2 years. Certain postcodes are also excluded.

Do you insure new or young qualified drivers?
Unfortunately we do not provide cover for these drivers at present.

If the learner driver has an accident, do I get a courtesy car?
No. Courtesy cars are specifically excluded from this insurance policy.

Who do I contact if I have any further questions?
You can email us at: motor@coveredinsurance.com During office hours (Monday to Friday 9 am to 5 pm). We aim to respond to all emails on the same day as we receive them. If we receive your request outside our business hours, we will reply to you as soon as possible when our offices are open. Write To Us: Covered Insurance, PO Box 581, Grays, RM17 9QU.

Insurance Product Information Document

Information Document for the Covered Owner Insurance policy.


Policy Wording

Policy wording for the Covered Owner Insurance policy.

For policies starting prior to 1/1/2023

For policies starting on or after 1/1/2023


Get covered

Ready to put your mind at ease with our flexible insurance for learner drivers.